Saturday 8 September 2012

Greywalker: Kat Richardson


"When Harper comes to in the hospital, she begins to feel a bit ...strange. She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring.

But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker-able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not."

This one has been sitting on my shelf for close to 3 years now, so when I finally picked it up, I've got to be honest, I really wasn't expecting much. As is so often the way, it completely took me by surprise and I really enjoyed it. Harper is a pretty decent female lead, quite a bit less pathetic and swoony than most in the genre. She's flawed, which I like, she gets things wrong, she makes mistakes, and it makes her all the more readable.

Richardson is obviously a fan of, and ambassador for, ferrets. I like that, it's bonkers, and I'm all for bonkers. Chaos is a fun character, and although I'm not usually a fan of literature as a way to grind your axe, in this instance it's all good. I had no idea they were illegal in parts of the US, over here in the UK they're fine, we love 'em.

I see people on-line griping about the fact that floppy drives and pagers are used in this book. It was written awhile back, it doesn't hurt anything, not sure what the issue is. I'm sure the technology gets an upgrade as the series progresses.

Ferrets and floppies aside, this was a bit of a slow burner on the whole, there's a lot of 'I just can't accept this ghost business' intially, it wears thin but once the pace picks up all is forgiven.The PI angle is a wee bit tired, but the characters make this one work.

It's UF with a helping of common sense and a lack of semi-naked buff 20-somethings, which is all good in my book.

Would I read the next in the series? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment